Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Speak and Listen

My husband and I both work full time. We trade off responsibilities with the little one. For instance, tonight is cub scouts. Hubbie will pick up son and take him to cub scouts while I go home, take care of the dog, and cook dinner. Last night I picked up the little one, and went to the grocery store while hubbie went home and cooked dinner. Marriages are all about work, but mostly they're about working together. It's important for hubbie and I to communicate our needs, wants, (and even schedules) to each other so that we find it easier to stay on the same page. Things run more smoothly this way. When one of us tries to do everything his/herself, he/she becomes resentful and overwhelmed. I cannot stress enough how important it is to talk to each other. Neither one of us can read minds--no one can. So when one tries to guess what the other one wants and fails, it's both partners' faults for not communicating properly. Open up. Share. Communicate (that is speak AND LISTEN). You might be surprised at the change this makes. Simple but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment